What is supply chain management? It is the acquisition, storage and movement of inventory, raw materials plus finished goods. Proper management of suppliers is essential for the overall success of any business. The way a company sources and distributes its inventory and raw materials always has an impact on its bottom-line. This is why most companies are now hiring people who have acquired a degree in supply chain management.
This job requires people who can work with local as well as foreign markets so as to produce the best results. Firms are constantly looking for highly trained and qualified staff to carry out the supply functions. Those who are qualified will therefore discover that their career opportunities are limitless. Supply chain management degree programs are ideal for people interested in obtaining supply chain management certification for enhancing their careers in business, government, nonprofit, or military settings. These graduates are able to compete quite competitively for the lucrative jobs available in the market. This page has details on the programs, where they can be found, career prospects, and more.
What do supply chain management degree programs cover?
Those who undertake this degree are later employed by firms to provide the appropriate skills and knowledge in the supplies department. During the training, certain skills are imparted including written and verbal communication skills, aptitude for technology, analytical skills, team work and professionalism. This enables the graduates to deal with policy making, product development, planning and formulate management strategies.
This is a wide course and covers various modules. They include strategic alliances, negotiations, price/cost analysis, logistics, supply chain optimization, and legal aspects of supply chains. Inventory, internet technology, economics and contract management are also covered. Other courses may include computer systems, marketing, contract analysis and finance. This gives the graduate a strong background in business and finance.
What are the prospects in the supply chain management field?
Due to the continuous growth and expansion of businesses those who have attained a relevant degree will always be in great demand. Those who complete this course successfully have a wide range of jobs in supply chain management to choose from including: contract negotiator, purchasing manager, inventory manager or materials manager. One can also become a supplier relations specialist, transportation manager, commodity manager or operations manager among other posts. Such jobs focus on e-commerce, benchmarking, technology, recycling, customer relations and warehousing.
The supply chain management careers outlook is bright. This is a field that is growing and will continue to grow as long as new businesses continue to be opened and as long as companies continue to grow, merge and expand. Each of these businesses requires highly qualified staff to handle materials and supplies, and to meet with business executives to make essential contract decisions and also the project the company’s future needs. They also have to negotiate so as to get materials of highest quality at reasonable prices. So, this is a growing field that is here to stay and those who undertake this course have a bright career ahead. The prospects of working both locally and internationally are also very high.
The supply chain management salary may vary from one company to the other. The salary may also depend on experience, company size, the industry, job responsibilities, operating budget and business climate. Purchasing agents may earn about $58,000 annually on the average. Purchasing managers could earn about $95,000 with the highest wage reaching about $150,000 annually. It is therefore clear that this is a lucrative field.
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration Logistics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Operations Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
- BS - Project Management and Administration: PMA Option
- IMBA - Operations/Supply Chain Mgt
- MBA - Operations/Supply Chain Mgmt
- IMBA - Project Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Project Management - BBA
- Project Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Project Management - D.B.A.
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration : Project Management
- Master of Science in Management : Project Management
- Master of Business Administration : Project Management
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- DBA in Project Management
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Business Administration Project Management Concentration