What is supply chain management? It is the acquisition, storage and movement of inventory, raw materials plus finished goods. Proper management of suppliers is essential for the overall success of any business. The way a company sources and distributes its inventory and raw materials always has an impact on its bottom-line. This is why most companies are now hiring people who have acquired a degree in supply chain management.
This job requires people who can work with local as well as foreign markets so as to produce the best results. Firms are constantly looking for highly trained and qualified staff to carry out the supply functions. Those who are qualified will therefore discover that their career opportunities are limitless. Supply chain management degree programs are ideal for people interested in obtaining supply chain management certification for enhancing their careers in business, government, nonprofit, or military settings. These graduates are able to compete quite competitively for the lucrative jobs available in the market. This page has details on the programs, where they can be found, career prospects, and more.
What do supply chain management degree programs cover?
Those who undertake this degree are later employed by firms to provide the appropriate skills and knowledge in the supplies department. During the training, certain skills are imparted including written and verbal communication skills, aptitude for technology, analytical skills, team work and professionalism. This enables the graduates to deal with policy making, product development, planning and formulate management strategies.
This is a wide course and covers various modules. They include strategic alliances, negotiations, price/cost analysis, logistics, supply chain optimization, and legal aspects of supply chains. Inventory, internet technology, economics and contract management are also covered. Other courses may include computer systems, marketing, contract analysis and finance. This gives the graduate a strong background in business and finance.
What are the prospects in the supply chain management field?
Due to the continuous growth and expansion of businesses those who have attained a relevant degree will always be in great demand. Those who complete this course successfully have a wide range of jobs in supply chain management to choose from including: contract negotiator, purchasing manager, inventory manager or materials manager. One can also become a supplier relations specialist, transportation manager, commodity manager or operations manager among other posts. Such jobs focus on e-commerce, benchmarking, technology, recycling, customer relations and warehousing.
The supply chain management careers outlook is bright. This is a field that is growing and will continue to grow as long as new businesses continue to be opened and as long as companies continue to grow, merge and expand. Each of these businesses requires highly qualified staff to handle materials and supplies, and to meet with business executives to make essential contract decisions and also the project the company’s future needs. They also have to negotiate so as to get materials of highest quality at reasonable prices. So, this is a growing field that is here to stay and those who undertake this course have a bright career ahead. The prospects of working both locally and internationally are also very high.
The supply chain management salary may vary from one company to the other. The salary may also depend on experience, company size, the industry, job responsibilities, operating budget and business climate. Purchasing agents may earn about $58,000 annually on the average. Purchasing managers could earn about $95,000 with the highest wage reaching about $150,000 annually. It is therefore clear that this is a lucrative field.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Supply Chain Management and Logistics
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration Logistics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Operations Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Project Management
- Master - Project Management
- Undergraduate Certificate - Project Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Public Administration in Non-profit & Faith Based Organizations
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Food & Beverage Management (BS)
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Public Administration (MPA)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management