What is supply chain management? It is the acquisition, storage and movement of inventory, raw materials plus finished goods. Proper management of suppliers is essential for the overall success of any business. The way a company sources and distributes its inventory and raw materials always has an impact on its bottom-line. This is why most companies are now hiring people who have acquired a degree in supply chain management.
This job requires people who can work with local as well as foreign markets so as to produce the best results. Firms are constantly looking for highly trained and qualified staff to carry out the supply functions. Those who are qualified will therefore discover that their career opportunities are limitless. Supply chain management degree programs are ideal for people interested in obtaining supply chain management certification for enhancing their careers in business, government, nonprofit, or military settings. These graduates are able to compete quite competitively for the lucrative jobs available in the market. This page has details on the programs, where they can be found, career prospects, and more.
What do supply chain management degree programs cover?
Those who undertake this degree are later employed by firms to provide the appropriate skills and knowledge in the supplies department. During the training, certain skills are imparted including written and verbal communication skills, aptitude for technology, analytical skills, team work and professionalism. This enables the graduates to deal with policy making, product development, planning and formulate management strategies.
This is a wide course and covers various modules. They include strategic alliances, negotiations, price/cost analysis, logistics, supply chain optimization, and legal aspects of supply chains. Inventory, internet technology, economics and contract management are also covered. Other courses may include computer systems, marketing, contract analysis and finance. This gives the graduate a strong background in business and finance.
What are the prospects in the supply chain management field?
Due to the continuous growth and expansion of businesses those who have attained a relevant degree will always be in great demand. Those who complete this course successfully have a wide range of jobs in supply chain management to choose from including: contract negotiator, purchasing manager, inventory manager or materials manager. One can also become a supplier relations specialist, transportation manager, commodity manager or operations manager among other posts. Such jobs focus on e-commerce, benchmarking, technology, recycling, customer relations and warehousing.
The supply chain management careers outlook is bright. This is a field that is growing and will continue to grow as long as new businesses continue to be opened and as long as companies continue to grow, merge and expand. Each of these businesses requires highly qualified staff to handle materials and supplies, and to meet with business executives to make essential contract decisions and also the project the company’s future needs. They also have to negotiate so as to get materials of highest quality at reasonable prices. So, this is a growing field that is here to stay and those who undertake this course have a bright career ahead. The prospects of working both locally and internationally are also very high.
The supply chain management salary may vary from one company to the other. The salary may also depend on experience, company size, the industry, job responsibilities, operating budget and business climate. Purchasing agents may earn about $58,000 annually on the average. Purchasing managers could earn about $95,000 with the highest wage reaching about $150,000 annually. It is therefore clear that this is a lucrative field.
List of schools and programs
- Experience a new way of learning through the innovative online experience at Ashford University
- Earn the Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's degree that fits your professional goals
- Transfer up to 90 approved credits toward your degree
- Accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- MA/Organizational Management - Supply Chain Management
- BA/Supply Chain Management
- MBA - Supply Chain Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration Logistics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Operations Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students.
- Associate of Science in Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Supply Chain Management
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - Supply Chain Management and Logistics
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
- Business Administration with Emphasis in Supply Chain Management B.S.
- Business Logistics A.A.S.
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Denver - Master of Business Administration - Logistics Management
- Denver - Master of Business Administration -Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Denver - Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- DBA in Project Management
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Master - Project Management
- BS - Project Management
As a recognized leader in higher education since 1920, IWU empowers busy adults to reach their educational goals, advance in their careers, and find their true calling in life, all within a supportive, faith-based environment.
- Master of Business Administration - Project Management