When we want to buy a home or commercial building, the task involves a lot more than simply flicking through a brochure and putting money down on the first premises we find desirable. The selling and buying of homes is often a tricky and complicated business and one that would require knowledge relating to market prices, checking the physical integrity of the building, filing taxes and deeds, and more.
If you have an interest in becoming a real estate agent, you will find more opportunities become available by studying for a real estate qualification. Enrolling in a real estate degree can provide you with skills and knowledge required for a career in real estate and will also place you in a better position when it comes to launching your own business. This page provides information on the degrees available, helps you to find a suitable real estate school and program, and indicates what the future prospects are in this sector. You might also like to check out the real estate management and property management training pages.
What do you study in real estate programs?
The actual type of training you undertake would depend upon which exact area of the industry you would like to have a career in. Though there is no prerequisite to have a bachelor’s degree to be employed in the real estate sector, today more firms expect their employees to have advanced qualifications. The type of degree would play a role in determining which real estate career you could pursue. There is also the option to going it alone and setting up your own brokerage firm.
Property transactions are a lot more complex than was previously the case, you would need to be familiar with local zoning, tax laws, home financing, and title searches.
The online real estate courses or modules that would be studied can be diverse. Depending upon the nature of the institution, a degree in this sector can provide you with modules relating to law, business ethics, human relations, mathematics, accounting, communication, marketing, property management, banking, and planning regulations. There are real estate programs availaible at associate, bachelor’s and master’s levels.
With some Property Management bachelor’s degree programs, you can also earn CTU Academic Certificates in topics such as: Basics of Accounting, Business Fundamentals, Human Resource Development, Management Essentials, Organizational Systems Improvement, and Project Planning.
It is also possible to take an MBA with a concentration in Real Estate Studies that provides you with the broad foundation of the traditional MBA plus topics in real estate such as: investment analysis, transaction analysis and real estate law.
In the US, in order to work in this sector you are required to have a real estate licence. This is a relative formality as all that is necessary is to complete a written examination. There are other requirements but these depend upon the state in which you reside.
What are the prospects for graduates of real estate?
The positions that would be open to you as a real estate graduate are actually diverse. You may apply for employment as a broker, sales agent, appraiser, assessor, or a building inspector. Out of these profiles it is the brokers and sales agents who work directly with potential buyers and sellers. An appraiser would play a role in estimating the overall value of properties, while a real estate inspector would ensure the buildings are safe and comply with local building regulations, codes, and ordinances.
Though the property market took a hit during the recession, today it is an area in which once again there is huge potential. According to information available from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, brokers and agents can experience a ten per cent growth in opportunities during the coming decade.
In 2009 the median salary for estate agents stood at $40,000 while for real estate brokers this was $58,000. Those graduates hoping to find employment as building inspectors are expected to see a higher growth of around eighteen per cent with a median salary presently of around $48,000.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BSFIN - Real Estate
- BS in Business Administration - Real Estate
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Marketing
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Organizational Development and Leadership
- MA in International Leadership
- MA in Organizational Development and Leadership
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
- Business Administration - Customized Professional (BS) (Online)