A project manager is the person responsible for the planning, execution and coordination of a project. They are required to think outside of the box and present innovative and realistic solutions to any problems that might prevent the project achieving its objectives on time and on budget. A project management masters will provide you with the skills required for this challenging position. With a project management MBA you will have an even wider range of opportunities available to you.
This page gives more details of the programs, what they cover, the career prospects, and provides links to schools with suitable programs.
What do project management MBA programs cover?
As a project manager it would be up to you to initiate, supervise and ensure the completion of a project. You would be required to have a proficiency in a number of areas, for example in human and administration management.
MBA programs in this field vary according to the institution, but would typically focus on topics that are directly related to the workplace and are built around the competencies in “A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge” (PMBOK® Guide), a globally recognized standard for the project management skills required by professionals in this field.
As a general guide, expect that the program would introduce you to the five phases of the project management life cycle: initiation, planning and design, execution, monitoring and controlling, and closure, together with associated courses such as project procurement, risk management, time analysis, finance, planning and scheduling, communication, organization, and team dynamics.
In a project management program you would also be provided with business skills and knowledge relating to management, human resources, business structure, accounting, operations, budget analysis, and forecasting. Following your masters degree, you may wish to take a PhD in Project Management. Doctoral programs usually have advanced project management course work, plus business and organizational topics such as: accounting and financial management, marketing strategy, and organizational theory. As with most doctoral programs, you will be required to attend some short residential workshops during your program.
It is important to understand that the degree program itself won’t provide you with all the skills necessary to be a success. You will need to acquire knowledge throughout your career that would ensure you can bring about the best results. The majority of employers would follow specific requirements and guidelines that need to be understood to complete projects.
In many organizations, and certainly as a consultant, you will be required to have project management certification – available from the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management and also the Project Management Institute (PMI). To maintain PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential it is necessary to earn 60 professional development units (PDUs) per three-year cycle. Some schools are Registered Education Providers of PMI so their degrees can provide some of the required PDUs.
MBA students should follow industry news to be prepared for entering the business world after graduation. Click here to read and obtain a free subscription to Business Professional Daily News.
What are the career prospects for graduates?
Upon graduation you would find a wide range of opportunities made available to you. You would be able to find openings in sectors such as IT, the financial industry, engineering, construction, the automotive industry, and healthcare. The leadership skills learnt in your studies would open many doors. There is the option of working for both private and governmental organizations locally and overseas.
According to Payscales.com, the salary range (including bonuses) for project management directors is 79,000 to $134,000 per annum. Clearly, those graduates with the best training and education are able to get the best jobs. A position in an urban location would offer a higher salary than those openings in rural areas of the country. Whichever way you look at it, a project management career is well worth considering.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MBA - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- MS in Management - Project Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Project Management
- MBA - Management
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Master of Business Administration - Interdisciplinary Business
- Master of Business Administration - Kindom Business
- And more...
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- And more...
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- Whether you work for a start-up company or large business our M.S. in Management will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to contribute to the strategic vision of your company.
- The program draws from the areas of strategic planning, accounting, finance, and ethics to provide you with a comprehensive view of what it takes to create effective strategies within your business.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field.
- Master - Project Management
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Dynamic Virtual Campus Experience – Classes are hosted in weekly, face-to-face online settings that utilize video conferencing technology to create an intimate learning environment.
- Demanding Academic and Admissions Standards – MPH@GW students are held to the same selective admissions criteria as on-campus students, and complete the same academically rigorous curriculum.
- Real Courses Delivered by Real Faculty – The GW faculty are world-renowned leaders in the field, and personally design and teach MPH@GW courses.
- Hands-On Field Placement Learning – Students will complete a customized practicum field experience that is designed to build hands-on skill in a student’s chosen career path.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Management : Project Management
- Master of Business Administration : Project Management
- Masters: Business Administration
- And more...