A project management masters degree provides excellent training for a rapidly expanding field. Project management (PM) is one of the nation’s fastest growing industries. This is an area in which trained professionals are required to plan, execute, and coordinate various projects by taking charge and directing a team to ensure deadlines are met and projects completed within the time set and without going over budget. By undertaking a PM masters you would be well placed to take up a desirable position in the shortest amount of time.
This page tells you more about the programs, provides links to both campus and online schools, and outlines the career prospects. Also check out the pages for project management, engineering management and operations management.
What do project management masters programs cover?
As a project manager it would be up to you to initiate, supervise and ensure the completion of a project. You would be required to have a proficiency in a number of areas, for example in human and administration management.
A PM masters program would typically focus on topics that are directly related to the workplace. These usually follow the globally recognized standard for project management – the content outlined in the PMBOK® Guide (“A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge”). In general, expect that the program would introduce you to the phases of project management: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure.
It would include modules such as risk management, finance, planning and scheduling, general business management, communication, organization, and team dynamics. It may also include learning to use software and other tools for planning, scheduling, and executing projects, and controlling the costs. Depending on the institution and program chosen you could also be provided with skills and knowledge relating to accounting, operations, human resources, business structure, time analysis, budget analysis, and forecasting.
Effective leadership and project management go together – motivating and influencing others, and building highly effective, diverse work teams is an essential requirement to achieve the objectives of the project. Some degrees, such as the Master of Science (M.S.) Leadership with specialization in Project Management, make this connection more explicit. It is also quite common to take project management in the context of information technology, e.g., the MS in Information Technology – Project Management.
Credentialing or certification is important in the industry. Some programs are based on the standards of the Project Management Institute (PMI), and so course content will help prepare you for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) credential exam.
After completing your masters degree, you can take a PhD in Project Management. A typical business project management doctoral specialization has advanced project management course work, plus business and organizational topics such as: accounting and financial management, marketing strategy, and organizational theory. You will be required to attend residential workshops during your program.
What are the prospects for graduates of project management degree programs?
The skills learnt in your program can be applied to many situations and so you don’t just have to consider project management jobs. Graduates of MS project management programs can be found working in a wide range of positions in sectors such as IT, the financial industry, engineering, construction, the automotive industry, and healthcare. If you wish to travel, there is the option of working for private or governmental organizations overseas.
According to information made available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary currently available to qualified project managers now stands at $97,000 per annum. As in any industry, those graduates with the best training and education are able to command the greatest financial rewards. A position in an urban location would offer a higher salary than those openings in rural areas of the country, as well as greater flexibility.
List of schools and programs
- Offers fully online Business programs with master’s and doctoral programs in business administration and organizational leadership.
- Students may choose from various specializations, including Financial Management, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Healthcare Administration, and more.
- Business Administration programs do not have GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Students may pursue their degree completely online, with no physical residency requirements.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Project Management
- MBA - Building Creativity
- MBA - Performance Improvement
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- The Master of Professional Accounting program is specifically designed to meet the educational requirements of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination.
- Prepare for a leadership role in public accounting, corporate accounting, government accounting, and other fields.
- Stay abreast of changes to financial laws and regulations with a program that is regularly revised by industry experts to keep pace with current trends.
- Students in the Master of Professional Accounting program get access to Wiley CPAexcel’s Video Gold Medal Course at a significant discount to fully prepare for the CPA exam.
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- Master - Project Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Project Management
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- 100% online M.B.A. programs offered, with specializations in Business Analytics, Healthcare Administration, & Nonprofit Leadership
- Program focuses on core competencies of Leadership, Organizational Innovation, Faith & Ethics, & Data-Informed Decision-Making
- Courses cover topics such as Innovation, Managerial Decision-Making, Strategic Marketing, & more
- Degree program is designed to be completed in as little as 24 months
- Master of Business Aministration
- MS Operations and Project Management
- MBA with concentration in Project Management
- IMBA - Project Management
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Business Administration Project Management Concentration
- Online Master of Business Administration Management Concentration
- Online Master of Business Administration General Master of Business Administration
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Kindom Business
- Master of Business Administration - Franchising
- Master of Business Administration - Interdisciplinary Business
- And more...