A project management masters degree provides excellent training for a rapidly expanding field. Project management (PM) is one of the nation’s fastest growing industries. This is an area in which trained professionals are required to plan, execute, and coordinate various projects by taking charge and directing a team to ensure deadlines are met and projects completed within the time set and without going over budget. By undertaking a PM masters you would be well placed to take up a desirable position in the shortest amount of time.
This page tells you more about the programs, provides links to both campus and online schools, and outlines the career prospects. Also check out the pages for project management, engineering management and operations management.
What do project management masters programs cover?
As a project manager it would be up to you to initiate, supervise and ensure the completion of a project. You would be required to have a proficiency in a number of areas, for example in human and administration management.
A PM masters program would typically focus on topics that are directly related to the workplace. These usually follow the globally recognized standard for project management – the content outlined in the PMBOK® Guide (“A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge”). In general, expect that the program would introduce you to the phases of project management: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and closure.
It would include modules such as risk management, finance, planning and scheduling, general business management, communication, organization, and team dynamics. It may also include learning to use software and other tools for planning, scheduling, and executing projects, and controlling the costs. Depending on the institution and program chosen you could also be provided with skills and knowledge relating to accounting, operations, human resources, business structure, time analysis, budget analysis, and forecasting.
Effective leadership and project management go together – motivating and influencing others, and building highly effective, diverse work teams is an essential requirement to achieve the objectives of the project. Some degrees, such as the Master of Science (M.S.) Leadership with specialization in Project Management, make this connection more explicit. It is also quite common to take project management in the context of information technology, e.g., the MS in Information Technology – Project Management.
Credentialing or certification is important in the industry. Some programs are based on the standards of the Project Management Institute (PMI), and so course content will help prepare you for PMI’s Project Management Professional (PMP) credential exam.
After completing your masters degree, you can take a PhD in Project Management. A typical business project management doctoral specialization has advanced project management course work, plus business and organizational topics such as: accounting and financial management, marketing strategy, and organizational theory. You will be required to attend residential workshops during your program.
What are the prospects for graduates of project management degree programs?
The skills learnt in your program can be applied to many situations and so you don’t just have to consider project management jobs. Graduates of MS project management programs can be found working in a wide range of positions in sectors such as IT, the financial industry, engineering, construction, the automotive industry, and healthcare. If you wish to travel, there is the option of working for private or governmental organizations overseas.
According to information made available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary currently available to qualified project managers now stands at $97,000 per annum. As in any industry, those graduates with the best training and education are able to command the greatest financial rewards. A position in an urban location would offer a higher salary than those openings in rural areas of the country, as well as greater flexibility.
List of schools and programs
- Offers fully online Business programs with master’s and doctoral programs in business administration and organizational leadership.
- Students may choose from various specializations, including Financial Management, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Healthcare Administration, and more.
- Business Administration programs do not have GRE or GMAT exam requirements.
- 100% of faculty possesses a doctoral degree in their field.
- Students may pursue their degree completely online, with no physical residency requirements.
- MBA - Building Creativity
- MBA - Performance Improvement
- Management - MBA
- And more...
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- Whether you work for a start-up company or large business our M.S. in Management will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to contribute to the strategic vision of your company.
- The program draws from the areas of strategic planning, accounting, finance, and ethics to provide you with a comprehensive view of what it takes to create effective strategies within your business.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field.
- Master - Project Management
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA/Organizational Management - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- MBA - No Specialization
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Kindom Business
- Master of Business Administration - Franchising
- Master of Business Administration - General Management
- And more...
- Our supportive instructors, rigorous curriculum, and experience-based approach give you the knowledge and skills to make a difference in your profession
- Our degree programs are designed specifically for working adults — put your coursework to work in your current job AND use it to reach the next level in your career
- Finish assignments and complete your degree on a schedule that works for you
- Keep your current job as you earn your graduate degree
- Scholarships may be available
- Master of International Business
- M.S. in Big Data Analytics
- Get your master's degree fully online: Advance your career through leading-edge skills and knowledge
- Bring real-world solutions from the classroom into your current job
- Complete coursework around your schedule – when and where it is most convenient for you
- Scholarships and other funding options may be available.
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Business Intelligence
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Risk Management
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Business Administration (MBA)