As the name suggests, a non profit organization would take any funds or money received and use it to drive forward its mission and promote its activities and services. There are no dividends or payouts to shareholders or investors. Success is typically measured by the number of people who have been helped, educated, or motivated. There has been an increase in such organizations as governments reduce their welfare options that were once common place. A non profit organization faces unique challenges in finding methods to bring in operating finances, maintaining goodwill, and using suitable evaluation tools to ensure success and highlight areas for improvement.
A masters in non profit management provides you with a qualification to advance your career in this sector. The primary focus of a masters in this field is the goal of building skills and networks that help a not for profit organization thrive and prosper. This page tells you what the masters programs are and where you can find them. Click here for information about certificates, bachelors and doctorates in this field.
What do you study in a non profit management degree at masters level?
Non profit management masters programs are designed for those who would like to play a leadership role in running a non profit organization. Such organizations require highly qualified and motivated individuals to ensure they can provide the maximum benefit to society. Due to the importance that is placed on every dollar received, the individuals working in this field need to have the best possible management skills.
The subjects that make up a non profit management degree at masters level will vary depending upon the educational institution. But a typical masters will include such topics as: strategic planning, entrepreneurship, ethnic and cultural awareness, financial management, and human resources and volunteer management. Programs will also place emphasis on developing interpersonal and communication skills, intuition, and compassion.
It is also possible to study non profit management from a psychological point of view in such programs as the MA in Psychology – Non-Profit Management. One of the good things about taking it online, is that you can study a masters or an MBA non profit management whilst continuing to work so there’s no loss of your time for your employer and no loss of salary for you.
What can you expect to earn after completing a masters?
As of 2009, and according to official data, the pay scale for qualified management graduates working in a not for profit organization is extremely varied, this is a reflection of the type of establishments were vacancies are made available. The lowest income would be on a par with the national minimum wage whereas it is also possible to command a salary of $70,000 per year if employed in a senior position in a well known NGO. The figure would depend on the organization in question, the position that is acquired, level of experience, and final qualification.
This is a field in which there are ample opportunities for trained and caring individuals to develop a lifelong career. Though the positions may not be the most financially rewarding, they do offer a type of satisfaction that is missing from the corporate world today.
List of schools and programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Management, Specialization in Global Workforce Collaboration
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management - Public Administration
- Master of Science in Management
- Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- And more...
- The Master of Professional Accounting program is specifically designed to meet the educational requirements of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination.
- Prepare for a leadership role in public accounting, corporate accounting, government accounting, and other fields.
- Stay abreast of changes to financial laws and regulations with a program that is regularly revised by industry experts to keep pace with current trends.
- Students in the Master of Professional Accounting program get access to Wiley CPAexcel’s Video Gold Medal Course at a significant discount to fully prepare for the CPA exam.
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- MS - Management
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Management
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Not-for-Profit Management
- Master of Business Administration - Not-for-Profit Management
- Master of Public Administration in Public Leadership
- And more...
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Master of Public Administration
- MS Management
- MS Management - Healthcare
- IMBA - Healthcare Informatics
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Management
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Business Administration Management Concentration
- Online Master of Business Administration General Master of Business Administration
- Online Master of Business Administration Cybersecurity Concentration
Ashland University values the individual student and offers an education that combines challenging academic programs with a faculty and staff who care about building nurturing relationships with their students. This approach to educating the whole person provides unparalleled opportunities for students to learn, grow, and find their place in the world.
- Master of Business Administration (Online)