What is event management? Event management is the planning, organization and administration of events such as sports races, conferences, leadership retreats, and entertainment shows. An event manager is responsible for the organization of such events starting from the conceptualization to the planning of the project and the funding and logistical administration of the entire project. Some managers specialize in particular types of events, e.g., entertainment or sport event management. An event management degree provides the knowledge and skills required for a carer in this exciting field.
An increasingly important specialization is that of an international events manager, whose job it is to coordinate and make possible an international function. This is often a task that calls for the effective administration of many experts in various fields that relate to the objective of the event in question. Due to the involvement of more than one nation when planning such, it is obvious that international links are inevitable if you are to succeed in such organization.
This page tells you more about event management training, where you can find it, and what the prospects are after completion. If you are interested in this area, you may also like to check the project management degree page.
What is studied in an event management degree?
For the success of any event management training program, one must have the upper hand by qualifying in a host of supporting subjects that will impact directly on the course. For this particular course, any aspiring student should have a good understanding of most of the following subjects; media technology, writing for media, economics of tourists and events, public relations, foreign languages, gastronomy and service marketing.
The event management or event planning degree program aims at equipping the candidate with the relevant skills to be able to plan as well as organize events starting from the conceptualization to the planning of the project and the funding and logistical administration of the entire project.
A program about event management takes about three and a half years to complete. In order to cover the course well, it is often divided into four main themes namely; event operations, business and management, international, and lastly the special studies for event managers. Students undertaking the program often take part in work experience which involves hands on work. This prepares the candidates with the practical experience and exposure necessary to enable them understand the challenges that they will encounter during the actual working days ahead. It is also advisable to get a study period in one foreign country and an extra language just to shape you up for future international tasks.
What are the career and salary prospects with in event management?
Once a graduate completes an event management program, there are better prospects particularly now that the world is rapidly becoming a small village and a good number of businesses cutting across national boundaries. Organizing events therefore has become a common thing and the more the partners involved the bigger the events and the level of planning required. So jobs in event planning are on the increase.
The entry level salary for graduates of event management will vary according to organizations. After a few years employment in the industry the average events manager salary is about $60,000 per year. This figure for jobs in event management will however increase as the level of experience and the standards of company improve over time.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Meeting and Event Planning
- AAS in Business Administration - Hospitality Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Servant Management
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Non Profit Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Operations Management
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Organizational Leadership
- MS - Organizational Leadership
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Food & Beverage Management (BS)
- Program options include Accounting, Business Administration, Leadership, and more.
- Curriculum focuses on developing leadership, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Programmatic accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) at select campuses.
- Business programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Leadership (MS)
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology