If you feel that you have a talent and an idea for business that would be immediately successful if only you had the skills to put your concepts into practice, you may find it worthwhile exploring the option of undertaking an entrepreneurship degree. Armed with this qualification you would have the knowledge to understand exactly how to go about starting your own business.
This page provides more details of the programs, where they can be found, what the prospects are, and more. You might also like to check the small business education page.
What do you study in the programs?
Enrolling in an entrepreneurship degree can provide you with skills and knowledge you need, so that you know what you’re doing when it comes to launching your own business. Entrepreneurship can be studied at all levels from associate degree to doctorate, but most programs are available at masters level. Very often entrepreneurship is studied as a specialization in an MBA. As with any educational subject, the topics covered in an entrepreneurship program will vary depending on the institution and the specific degree you enroll in. Most would provide you with content similar to that given in a business administration degree together with modules specifically related to entrepreneurship.
When checking out the possible programs to take, it is important to keep in mind that you will need to be provided the knowledge and skills to build a vision that would allow you to create a successful start up company. The program of study you undertake would have to develop your leadership qualities and discipline to control the business during the initial stages of uncertainty. Once the business is off the ground it is essential that you know how to evolve your business plan and reconstruct any areas that are holding the concept back. Record keeping and attention to detail are essential qualities to have. It is vital that you are taught how to have a clear vision whilst also creating back up plans in case of failure.
The program is likely to be interdisciplinary in nature, and include general business courses in: economics, accounting, finance, taxation, business law, business ethics, communications, strategy, marketing and sales, advertising, and human resource management. In addition, there would be specialized courses in: the entrepreneurial process, entrepreneurial management, opportunity recognition, business plan development.
In the MBA Entrepreneurship specialization at Jones International University, topics include: business strategies, securing funding, writing business plans, developing marketing strategies, and examining potential markets. With the DBA in Entrepreneurship from Walden University you cover topics such as encouraging innovation, identifying market opportunities, raising capital, and managing risk and change.
You should apply for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way if you don’t get into your first choice university, at least you might get into one of the others.
What are the prospects with an entrepreneurship degree?
There is almost no limit to the potential earnings. Entrepreneurship training would arm you with the necessary skills to launch and run a successful business, but the actual profits and income that are derived can vary massively depending on market conditions and the field in which the organization is based.
Most entrepreneurs start their new business slowly and with the minimal of investment from outside sources. In the US alone, there were almost fourteen million home based businesses in 2009 – you can add to these numbers by studying a degree online.
It’s important to keep abreast of the latest technology, startups, trends, and opportunities for small business. Click here for a free subscription to the Small Business Daily News, which brings together useful information for you.
List of schools and programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Has a team of about 4,000 faculty members focused on helping students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas.
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary.
- Provides program coordinators who work with students to ensure they have the learning materials, assignments, facilities, and faculty to get the most out of the program.
- Over 50 campus locations nationwide.
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Servant Leadership
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AAS in Business Administration-Entrepreneurship
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management
- MS in Management - Leadership
- And more...
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Business Intelligence
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration: Entrepreneurship
- Master of Science in Management : Leadership
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice : Leadership/Executive Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Entrepreneurship - MBA
- MS Organizational Leadership - Human Resources Management
- MS Organizational Leadership - Criminal Justice
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- And more...
- Oil & Gas Administrative Assistant
- Business Administration Management
Sullivan University is a private institution of higher learning dedicated to providing educational enrichment opportunities for the intellectual, social and professional development of its students. The institution offers career-focused curricula with increasing rigor from the certificate through diploma, associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree levels. Throughout those curricula, the university seeks to promote the development of critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, computer literacy, and teamwork as well as an appreciation for life-long learning, cultural diversity and the expression of professionalism in all activities. At the graduate level, the university also seeks to promote a culture of research.
- Associate of Science in Business Management
- Master of Science in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing
- And more...