If you feel that you have a talent and an idea for business that would be immediately successful if only you had the skills to put your concepts into practice, you may find it worthwhile exploring the option of undertaking an entrepreneurship degree. Armed with this qualification you would have the knowledge to understand exactly how to go about starting your own business.
This page provides more details of the programs, where they can be found, what the prospects are, and more. You might also like to check the small business education page.
What do you study in the programs?
Enrolling in an entrepreneurship degree can provide you with skills and knowledge you need, so that you know what you’re doing when it comes to launching your own business. Entrepreneurship can be studied at all levels from associate degree to doctorate, but most programs are available at masters level. Very often entrepreneurship is studied as a specialization in an MBA. As with any educational subject, the topics covered in an entrepreneurship program will vary depending on the institution and the specific degree you enroll in. Most would provide you with content similar to that given in a business administration degree together with modules specifically related to entrepreneurship.
When checking out the possible programs to take, it is important to keep in mind that you will need to be provided the knowledge and skills to build a vision that would allow you to create a successful start up company. The program of study you undertake would have to develop your leadership qualities and discipline to control the business during the initial stages of uncertainty. Once the business is off the ground it is essential that you know how to evolve your business plan and reconstruct any areas that are holding the concept back. Record keeping and attention to detail are essential qualities to have. It is vital that you are taught how to have a clear vision whilst also creating back up plans in case of failure.
The program is likely to be interdisciplinary in nature, and include general business courses in: economics, accounting, finance, taxation, business law, business ethics, communications, strategy, marketing and sales, advertising, and human resource management. In addition, there would be specialized courses in: the entrepreneurial process, entrepreneurial management, opportunity recognition, business plan development.
In the MBA Entrepreneurship specialization at Jones International University, topics include: business strategies, securing funding, writing business plans, developing marketing strategies, and examining potential markets. With the DBA in Entrepreneurship from Walden University you cover topics such as encouraging innovation, identifying market opportunities, raising capital, and managing risk and change.
You should apply for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way if you don’t get into your first choice university, at least you might get into one of the others.
What are the prospects with an entrepreneurship degree?
There is almost no limit to the potential earnings. Entrepreneurship training would arm you with the necessary skills to launch and run a successful business, but the actual profits and income that are derived can vary massively depending on market conditions and the field in which the organization is based.
Most entrepreneurs start their new business slowly and with the minimal of investment from outside sources. In the US alone, there were almost fourteen million home based businesses in 2009 – you can add to these numbers by studying a degree online.
It’s important to keep abreast of the latest technology, startups, trends, and opportunities for small business. Click here for a free subscription to the Small Business Daily News, which brings together useful information for you.
List of schools and programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Doctor of Management Executive Leadership (Executive Format)
- Master of Business Administration - Global Leadership
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Entrepreneurship
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management
- AAS in Business Administration-Entrepreneurship
- MS in Management - Leadership
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor
- IMBA - Entrepreneurship
- MBA with concentration in Entrepreneurship
- IMBA - Leadership
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Entrepreneurship - MBA
- Organizational Leadership - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Organizational Leadership - D.B.A.
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- Business (Associate's)
- Business (Bachelor's)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- BS in Business Admin: Leadership
- DBA in Leadership
- MBA - Leadership
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Marketing
- Doctor of Business Administration, DBA
- Master in Business Administration - Management