If you feel that you have a talent and an idea for business that would be immediately successful if only you had the skills to put your concepts into practice, you may find it worthwhile exploring the option of undertaking an entrepreneurship degree. Armed with this qualification you would have the knowledge to understand exactly how to go about starting your own business.
This page provides more details of the programs, where they can be found, what the prospects are, and more. You might also like to check the small business education page.
What do you study in the programs?
Enrolling in an entrepreneurship degree can provide you with skills and knowledge you need, so that you know what you’re doing when it comes to launching your own business. Entrepreneurship can be studied at all levels from associate degree to doctorate, but most programs are available at masters level. Very often entrepreneurship is studied as a specialization in an MBA. As with any educational subject, the topics covered in an entrepreneurship program will vary depending on the institution and the specific degree you enroll in. Most would provide you with content similar to that given in a business administration degree together with modules specifically related to entrepreneurship.
When checking out the possible programs to take, it is important to keep in mind that you will need to be provided the knowledge and skills to build a vision that would allow you to create a successful start up company. The program of study you undertake would have to develop your leadership qualities and discipline to control the business during the initial stages of uncertainty. Once the business is off the ground it is essential that you know how to evolve your business plan and reconstruct any areas that are holding the concept back. Record keeping and attention to detail are essential qualities to have. It is vital that you are taught how to have a clear vision whilst also creating back up plans in case of failure.
The program is likely to be interdisciplinary in nature, and include general business courses in: economics, accounting, finance, taxation, business law, business ethics, communications, strategy, marketing and sales, advertising, and human resource management. In addition, there would be specialized courses in: the entrepreneurial process, entrepreneurial management, opportunity recognition, business plan development.
In the MBA Entrepreneurship specialization at Jones International University, topics include: business strategies, securing funding, writing business plans, developing marketing strategies, and examining potential markets. With the DBA in Entrepreneurship from Walden University you cover topics such as encouraging innovation, identifying market opportunities, raising capital, and managing risk and change.
You should apply for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way if you don’t get into your first choice university, at least you might get into one of the others.
What are the prospects with an entrepreneurship degree?
There is almost no limit to the potential earnings. Entrepreneurship training would arm you with the necessary skills to launch and run a successful business, but the actual profits and income that are derived can vary massively depending on market conditions and the field in which the organization is based.
Most entrepreneurs start their new business slowly and with the minimal of investment from outside sources. In the US alone, there were almost fourteen million home based businesses in 2009 – you can add to these numbers by studying a degree online.
It’s important to keep abreast of the latest technology, startups, trends, and opportunities for small business. Click here for a free subscription to the Small Business Daily News, which brings together useful information for you.
List of schools and programs
- Want to earn a bachelor's or master's degree in the high-demand business field?
- The Colangelo College of Business educates and develops values-driven business leaders.
- Finance, Accounting, Business Admin/Mgmt, Leadership, Sports Business, Public Administration & Marketing.
- Grand Canyon University offers these highly valued degree emphases and more! Learn about our Colangelo College of Business.
- Courses available online, on campus in Phoenix, or in other satellite locations throughout Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates & more!
- B.S. in Entrepreneurial Studies
- M.B.A. and M.S. in Leadership (Dual Degree)
- M.B.A.: Leadership
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AASBA -Entrepreneurship
- AAS in Business Administration - Small Business Management
- MS in Management - Leadership
- And more...
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- Business Intelligence
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MBA - Entrepreneurship (ACBSP-accredited)
- DBA - Leadership
- MS - Leadership (ACBSP-accredited)
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Entrepreneurship
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration: Entrepreneurship
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Small Business Management
- Master of Science in Management : Leadership
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- Business (Associate's)
- Business (Bachelor's)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- Business Administration (BS) (Online)
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Leadership (MS)
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Business Administration (MBA)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Hospitality Management
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Management