What is a business analyst? In an attempt to keep up with or stay ahead of their competition, companies are using business analysts more and more to obtain the business intelligence they need to improve the way they operate. The analyst looks at the structure of the organization, assesses the way in which the departments and units interact, and especially looks at the way in which technology is used to assist the organization to operate whilst conducting its business.
Studying a degree is a good way to develop a sharp mind and a clear vision for the future of a business. A business analyst degree provides training that enables you to assist organizations to become more efficient and more effective in their operations. With this training, you will be able to work in consulting and for organizations and companies that do research and development into the future of particular industries and businesses. This page tells you more about the degrees and training, where you can find them, the career prospects, and more.
How to be a business analyst
A student who has an interest in a specific kind of business will want to obtain as much knowledge as they can on the subject and be able to research, identify issues and problems, formulate strategic plans and solutions and implement these plans and solutions, along with putting together teams and performing studies. They will prove these abilities when they are given opportunities in the workplace to showcase their special skills and talents.
A career in this field will require higher education. A student will need to know their way around a computer operating system and have efficient office skills. They will need to take courses in computers, information systems, mathematics, research, engineering and business management. They should be good at problem solving, working within a budget and graphing charts and statistics. It is also important that a student keep up with all of the latest technological discoveries and inventions.
Concentrating on a certain industry does not eliminate the options someone will have when they graduate with this kind of degree, it simply narrows down the subjects to eliminate the uninteresting. It is always wise to choose a career in an industry that will keep your interest to minimize the risk of career boredom later on down the road.
What are the prospects for graduates?
Working in analysis will require a person to be well organized and able to work independently and within the framework of a team. There are different areas to choose from once a higher degree is received. The higher the degree that is obtained, the more advancement is possible for someone in this field. At first, an entry level employee will work under the supervision of a trained expert.
After they have proven they have problem solution skills by handling smaller jobs on their own, they will be trusted with bigger and better accounts. This is when business focus is important. As the employee becomes more experienced in the area of expertise they have chosen, they will be able to handle tasks and will eventually take a supervisory position of their own, to become a business analyst manager.
There are several business analyst careers possibilities, e.g., IT business analyst, banking business analyst, and a business analyst in healthcare. This is an area that can be lucrative, depending on the amount of experience and expertise that is brought to the table. Positions pay to great extent on how much knowledge and schooling a person has, and a business degree would certainly be good in this respect. A Senior Business Analyst (Computer Software/Hardware/Systems) would earn a salary in the range $75-95,000 per year. The amount of salary a person should expect also depends on their location. To find out local or specific business analyst salary ranges, it is best to do some research on the Internet, job advertisements in local newspapers, and in the local library.
List of schools and programs
- Master of Science in Information Systems - Business Intelligence
- Master of Business Administration - Information Systems
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Information Technology - Business Intelligence and Analytics
- MBA - Information Technology
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- And more...
- Business Intelligence
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Information Technology : Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Information Processing
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Small Business Information Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Business Administration / Computer Information Systems
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader. We provide an online graduate experience that combines academic excellence with faith-based values to create ethical, effective leaders ready to improve their workplaces, their communities, and the world at large. Concordia New York is an accredited, nonprofit college with an academic tradition dating back more than 130 years. We offer a quality, affordable education that separates true innovation from trends, and best practices from buzzwords.
- M.S. in Business Analytics
- MBA - Information Systems and Knowledge Management
- Doctorate in Information Systems and Enterprise Resource Management