What is a business analyst? In an attempt to keep up with or stay ahead of their competition, companies are using business analysts more and more to obtain the business intelligence they need to improve the way they operate. The analyst looks at the structure of the organization, assesses the way in which the departments and units interact, and especially looks at the way in which technology is used to assist the organization to operate whilst conducting its business.
Studying a degree is a good way to develop a sharp mind and a clear vision for the future of a business. A business analyst degree provides training that enables you to assist organizations to become more efficient and more effective in their operations. With this training, you will be able to work in consulting and for organizations and companies that do research and development into the future of particular industries and businesses. This page tells you more about the degrees and training, where you can find them, the career prospects, and more.
How to be a business analyst
A student who has an interest in a specific kind of business will want to obtain as much knowledge as they can on the subject and be able to research, identify issues and problems, formulate strategic plans and solutions and implement these plans and solutions, along with putting together teams and performing studies. They will prove these abilities when they are given opportunities in the workplace to showcase their special skills and talents.
A career in this field will require higher education. A student will need to know their way around a computer operating system and have efficient office skills. They will need to take courses in computers, information systems, mathematics, research, engineering and business management. They should be good at problem solving, working within a budget and graphing charts and statistics. It is also important that a student keep up with all of the latest technological discoveries and inventions.
Concentrating on a certain industry does not eliminate the options someone will have when they graduate with this kind of degree, it simply narrows down the subjects to eliminate the uninteresting. It is always wise to choose a career in an industry that will keep your interest to minimize the risk of career boredom later on down the road.
What are the prospects for graduates?
Working in analysis will require a person to be well organized and able to work independently and within the framework of a team. There are different areas to choose from once a higher degree is received. The higher the degree that is obtained, the more advancement is possible for someone in this field. At first, an entry level employee will work under the supervision of a trained expert.
After they have proven they have problem solution skills by handling smaller jobs on their own, they will be trusted with bigger and better accounts. This is when business focus is important. As the employee becomes more experienced in the area of expertise they have chosen, they will be able to handle tasks and will eventually take a supervisory position of their own, to become a business analyst manager.
There are several business analyst careers possibilities, e.g., IT business analyst, banking business analyst, and a business analyst in healthcare. This is an area that can be lucrative, depending on the amount of experience and expertise that is brought to the table. Positions pay to great extent on how much knowledge and schooling a person has, and a business degree would certainly be good in this respect. A Senior Business Analyst (Computer Software/Hardware/Systems) would earn a salary in the range $75-95,000 per year. The amount of salary a person should expect also depends on their location. To find out local or specific business analyst salary ranges, it is best to do some research on the Internet, job advertisements in local newspapers, and in the local library.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Information Technology - Business Intelligence and Analytics
- MBA - Information Technology
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- IT Management - Bachelor
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management of Engineering and Technology - D.B.A.
- Management of Engineering & Technology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management Information Systems - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
- BS in Information Systems: Accounting Information Systems
- BS in Information Systems: Data Networking
- And more...