The masters of business administration in banking is a graduate degree which highlights management aspects of banking. An MBA is a very popular degree and people from every educational field and academic discipline wish to pursue it these days. The degree first originated in the United States in the 19th century as the industrialization led to the growth of scientific approaches towards management. This showed the need for people with relevant skills who could help to manage the various aspects of an organization or a project, and the MBA soon became popular for bank careers.
Management is one of the core courses in a banking MBA degree program – other ones include accounting, finance, human resources, and marketing. The students who opt for these programs have a couple of options. They can either opt for a generic program. They can also select one area for specialization and focus on it for one fourth of their course, or one semester. It is also possible to specialize and take an MBA investment banking. This page helps you find out more about MBA in banking degree programs. It explains what the courses are, where to find them, and what the prospects are for careers in banking. Also, finance programs and accounting programs may be of interest to you.
What do you study in the program?
The course normally takes 2 years to complete. For an on-campus program, the two years are usually broken down into 4 semesters of 6 months each. Each semester may have 3 to 4 subjects, with a final assessment examination at the end the semester. A minimum of 50 percent should be secured to complete a semester successfully. The course can also be pursued in distance mode or in the part time mode. In these modes, the course schedule may be longer, due to the fact that students need to take fewer subjects each semester.
The various subjects included in the course cover topics like management of financial matters, financial law, electronic banking, corporate finance and a range of industry specific subjects that provide excellent training for a range of jobs, such as investment banking jobs. To get into a masters course, it is generally expected that the applicant should have at least three years of work experience in a relevant field. This, however, may not be compulsory and it varies from one university to another.
The course also aims to provide a theoretical and practical education in the field of international banking as well. It helps a student to understand the essence of financial transactions on a global scale. This provides an international outlook in the field of finance. Successful completion of a banking MBA helps in providing a solid and sound foundation to the career of an applicant in the banking and financial sector.
MBA students should follow industry news to be prepared for entering the business world after graduation. Click here to read and obtain a free subscription to Business Professional Daily News.
What are the prospects with a banking MBA?
Professionals working in this area are required to possess a wide range of skills. These skills help them immensely in coping up with the constant challenges and changes in the dynamic financial sector. The MBA is really helpful for people, who hold a professional graduate qualification in finance, economics, accounting etc.
It is also beneficial for people who are employed in banks and other financial organizations. It helps them to secure a healthy promotion and work on a profile with managerial responsibilities. This course equips an individual to manage and consult others on these matters and develop a knack for banking functions.
The median income of these professional is about 70k and there is range of jobs, which can be taken up by the qualified MBA in the financial sector. The job opportunities are many and professionals with these skills are always required in small or large businesses to deal with the management of resources in an efficient way. It is certainly a worthwhile degree for anyone wishing to pursue a banking career.
List of schools and programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Finance
- MBA - Finance
- MS in Finance - Financial Planning
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Finance and Investing
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Finance
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- Whether you work for a start-up company or large business our M.S. in Management will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to contribute to the strategic vision of your company.
- The program draws from the areas of strategic planning, accounting, finance, and ethics to provide you with a comprehensive view of what it takes to create effective strategies within your business.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field.
- Master - Finance
- Master - Professional Accounting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science : Finance
- Master of Business Administration : Finance
- Master of Science : Financial Planning
- And more...
- MS Finance
- MBA with concentration in Finance
- IMBA - Finance
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Finance - MBA (Master's)
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting