The masters of business administration in banking is a graduate degree which highlights management aspects of banking. An MBA is a very popular degree and people from every educational field and academic discipline wish to pursue it these days. The degree first originated in the United States in the 19th century as the industrialization led to the growth of scientific approaches towards management. This showed the need for people with relevant skills who could help to manage the various aspects of an organization or a project, and the MBA soon became popular for bank careers.
Management is one of the core courses in a banking MBA degree program – other ones include accounting, finance, human resources, and marketing. The students who opt for these programs have a couple of options. They can either opt for a generic program. They can also select one area for specialization and focus on it for one fourth of their course, or one semester. It is also possible to specialize and take an MBA investment banking. This page helps you find out more about MBA in banking degree programs. It explains what the courses are, where to find them, and what the prospects are for careers in banking. Also, finance programs and accounting programs may be of interest to you.
What do you study in the program?
The course normally takes 2 years to complete. For an on-campus program, the two years are usually broken down into 4 semesters of 6 months each. Each semester may have 3 to 4 subjects, with a final assessment examination at the end the semester. A minimum of 50 percent should be secured to complete a semester successfully. The course can also be pursued in distance mode or in the part time mode. In these modes, the course schedule may be longer, due to the fact that students need to take fewer subjects each semester.
The various subjects included in the course cover topics like management of financial matters, financial law, electronic banking, corporate finance and a range of industry specific subjects that provide excellent training for a range of jobs, such as investment banking jobs. To get into a masters course, it is generally expected that the applicant should have at least three years of work experience in a relevant field. This, however, may not be compulsory and it varies from one university to another.
The course also aims to provide a theoretical and practical education in the field of international banking as well. It helps a student to understand the essence of financial transactions on a global scale. This provides an international outlook in the field of finance. Successful completion of a banking MBA helps in providing a solid and sound foundation to the career of an applicant in the banking and financial sector.
MBA students should follow industry news to be prepared for entering the business world after graduation. Click here to read and obtain a free subscription to Business Professional Daily News.
What are the prospects with a banking MBA?
Professionals working in this area are required to possess a wide range of skills. These skills help them immensely in coping up with the constant challenges and changes in the dynamic financial sector. The MBA is really helpful for people, who hold a professional graduate qualification in finance, economics, accounting etc.
It is also beneficial for people who are employed in banks and other financial organizations. It helps them to secure a healthy promotion and work on a profile with managerial responsibilities. This course equips an individual to manage and consult others on these matters and develop a knack for banking functions.
The median income of these professional is about 70k and there is range of jobs, which can be taken up by the qualified MBA in the financial sector. The job opportunities are many and professionals with these skills are always required in small or large businesses to deal with the management of resources in an efficient way. It is certainly a worthwhile degree for anyone wishing to pursue a banking career.
List of schools and programs
Founded in 1925, the University of Miami is consistently and consecutively ranked as a top 50 national university and the number one private university in Florida. With more than 15,000 students from around the world, the University of Miami is a vibrant and diverse academic community situated on several campuses located in and around the city of Miami.
- Master's in Finance
- Masters in Professional Accounting
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Finance
- MBA - Finance
- MS in Finance - Financial Planning
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Science in Accounting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science : Finance
- Master of Business Administration : Finance
- Master of Science : Financial Planning
- And more...
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Colorado Springs - Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Colorado Springs - Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Colorado Springs - Master of Science - Accounting
Founded in 1872, Maryville University is a four-year, private university located in west St. Louis County. Maryville University students may choose from 75+ academic programs, including degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.
- Online Master of Business Administration Financial Services Concentration
- Online Master of Business Administration Accounting Concentration
Work toward your graduate degree with New England College Online. We offer master's degree programs in management, accounting, and public policy that can be completed 100% online.
- MS in Management/Banking and Financial Management
- Master of Science in Accounting
Study online with University of Maryland at College Park. We offer an online master of business administration program through our Robert H. Smith School of Business.
- MBA - Finance
- MBA - Accounting
Brenau Adult and Graduate Studies: Designed with You in Mind
If you are a busy, working adult, Brenau offers professionally focused undergraduate and graduate degrees and professional certification programs in flexible, convenient formats that meet your goals and fit your schedule. Brenau has a rich history of 135 years, with more than 35 years of experience in delivering programs for adults. As a Brenau student, you can schedule your classes in a format that is convenient to you. Many of our programs can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Business Administration with concentration in Finance Online
- Master of Business Administration- Accounting Management Online
- Master of Business Administration with concentration in Public Accounting Online
- MS Finance - Investment & Securities
- MS Finance
- MS Accounting - Auditing
- And more...